Nine ISIS militants killed in U.S.-led coalition airstrike, southwestern Kirkuk

Kirkuk (IraqiNews.com) Nine Islamic State militants were killed Sunday as an airstrike launched by the U.S.-led coalition targeted the group’s pockets in southwest of Kirkuk, a local source said.

“The international coalition jets targeted IS locations in al-Rashad, al-Riyadh and Hawija, southwestern Kirkuk,” the source told AlSumaria News on Sunday.

“Nine militants were killed, while one of the headquarters of the so-called ‘kirkuk State’ was destroyed,” the source added.

Security officials say tens of IS families in the group’s so-called Diyala State headed to Hawija after losing the cities they controlled after June 2014.

Hawija and Riyad, located west of Kirkuk, have been held by IS since mid-2014, when the group emerged to proclaim an Islamic “caliphate” in Iraq and Syria. The group executed dozens of civilians and security members there, forcing thousands to flee homes.

Dozens of residents from Hawija and the regions in its vicinity escape to Kirkuk province on a daily basis. Despite the risky routes to the freed regions, the civilians prefer death to staying under IS control.

There has been pressure on Iraqi government to hasten with invading Hawija, given the humanitarian crisis people were experiencing under the group’s rule. Further offensives are expected to be launched across Iraq.darkredjoin

Advertisements

Besieged IS mufti blows himself up in northern Baghdad

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State’s legislator (mufti) of the so-called Baghdad State has blown up himself after being besieged by security troops in northern Baghdad, according to the Baghdad Operations Command.

In a statement on Sunday, the command said, “a joint force of the Iraqi army and national security agency besieged the legislator of the IS so-called North Baghdad State in a residential house in Tarmiyah district, north of Baghdad.”

“As the militant was unable to escape the troops, he blew himself up without losses reported,” the statement added.

Violence in the country has surged further with the emergence of Islamic State Sunni extremist militants who proclaimed an “Islamic Caliphate” in Iraq and Syria in 2014.

Bombings and armed attacks are seen on on almost a daily basis against security members, paramilitary groups and civilians since the Iraqi government launched a wide-scale campaign to retake IS-occupied areas in 2016.

Earlier on the day, a fighter from al-Hashd al-Ashaeri (tribal mobilization forces) was reportedly killed in an armed attack in northern Baghdad. Two civilians were wounded in a bomb blast in southern Baghdad.

According to observers, IS is believed to constitute a security threat even after the group’s defeat at its main havens across Iraqi provinces.

darkredjoin4343434

Iraqi forces kill 20 IS militants near Syrian borders: military media

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Iraqi warplanes killed 20 Islamic State members near the borders with Syria, military media reported Monday, denying reports that the strikes targeted locations inside Syria.

The Defense Ministry’s War Media Cell said an airstrike was carried out at Tal Sufouq, a region at Nineveh’s borders with Syria, based on intelligence provided by the Popular Mobilization Forces.

The strike killed 20 militants and destroyed six vehicles, the statement said, denying reports that the strikes targeted locations inside Syria.

On Sunday, semi-official al-Sabah newspaper said Iraqi warplanes pounded IS locations in the Syrian city of Mayadin, Deiz Ezzour, before the group proceeded with plans to target holy Shia sites in the Iraqi cities of Najaf and Karbala, as well as the residence of the country’s top Shia cleric, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani.

Iraqi forces regained control over the city of Mosul earlier this month, ending more than eight months of battles against the militants at their former capital. Coinciding with the campaign in Mosul, paramilitary troops, backed by warplanes, managed to take full control over the borderline with Syria and Jordan.

Islamic State now holds a few towns in Nineveh near the Syrian borders, most notably Tal Afar, which is widely reported to be the next target for military operations.

darkredjoin

Germany: Muslim screaming “Allahu akbar” murders one, injures four, police say motive unknown

We have no clear information as to the motive or the number of wounded,’ Hamburg police said in a tweet.”

Of course, because Germany is in full denial regarding the jihad threat, as is most of the free world.

“One dead, four wounded in knife attack at Hamburg supermarket,”

One person was killed and four wounded in a knife attack in a supermarket in the northern German city of Hamburg on Friday, the city’s police said.

The man ran into a supermarket in the Barmbek neighbourhood and attacked customers with a knife at around 3pm local time (2pm).

“He struck out at customers without warning. There are one dead and several injured,” Heike Uhde, a police spokeswoman said….

German daily Bild published a picture of the attacker in the back of a police car with a white, blood-soaked bag over his head, and reported that he cried “Allahu Akbar” (God is Greatest) in the supermarket.

An eyewitness told Bild: “I was standing by the cash register when he walked in. He had a huge knife. Smeared with blood. He was really worked up, waving his arms around as he left the supermarket.”…

“We have no clear information as to the motive or the number of wounded,” Hamburg police said in a tweet.

darkredjoin

Slain Green Beret’s Father Believes Jordanian Killer Did Not Act Alone

In this June 17, 2017 file photo, Brian McEnroe, the father of fallen U.S. Green Beret Kevin McEnroe, displays a memorial dog tag depicting his fallen son, in Amman, Jordan. (AP Photo/Sam McNeil)

The father of one of three U.S. Army Green Berets killed in cold blood by a Jordanian soldier said he does not believe the shooter acted alone, calling the murders an “assassination” that may have been ordered by someone else.

He acknowledged his suspicions might never be proven, but he said he thinks Jordan is engaged in a cover-up.

“I don’t trust the Jordanians,” said Brian McEnroe, whose son Staff Sgt. Kevin J. McEnroe was killed when a Jordanian security guard shot him at point-blank range on Nov. 4, 2016, as McEnroe and three other U.S. Special Forcessoldiers were entering King Faisal Air Base in Jordan, a longtime Arab ally of the United States.

“I don’t believe they’re being forthcoming about everything that happened,” McEnroe said in an extensive interview with Fox News Wednesday. “Why did they have to lie and place blame and slander the honor of U.S. soldiers?”

“I honestly believe that he [the shooter] was not operating on his own,” said McEnroe. “I believe that Jordan is covering something up and I will always believe that. Whatever that is, we may never know.”

McEnroe spoke two days after shocking surveillance video was released by the Jordanian military showing 39-year-old First Sgt. Ma’arik al-Tuwayha, a member of the Jordanian Air Force, firing rounds of ammunition at the four-vehicle U.S. convoy, even as the American soldiers waved their arms in surrender during the six-minute assault.

McEnroe, however, noted U.S. officials were unable to find a link between the gunman and any terrorist groups.

Kevin McEnroe, 30, of Tucson, died instantly from a bullet to the head, his father said. Staff Sgt. Matthew C. Lewellen, 27, of Kirksville, Mo., and James F. Moriarty, 27, of Kerrville, Tex., were also killed, while a fourth U.S. soldier survived the attack.

Jordan initially said al-Tuwayha fired at the U.S. soldiers because they failed to stop at the gate, claiming certain entry protocols were not followed. The Jordanian military later said the Americans accidentally fired a weapon, prompting the Jordanian guard to believe the base was under attack. The surveillance video as well as the investigation proved both narratives to be false.

Jordan eventually changed its position and charged al-Tuwayha with premeditated murder. The guard pleaded not guilty and insisted he was acting in accordance with open-fire regulations. He said during his testimonyhe heard a pistol shot and feared the base was being attacked.

The Jordanian Embassy did not immediately respond to a Fox News request for comment.

McEnroe and the other U.S. soldiers were working for the Central Intelligence Agency as part of a covert program training Syrian rebels. The elder McEnroe described in great detail a text message exchange with his son on Nov. 3, the day before he was killed.

“I was driving in the car and sent him a quick message and asked if everything was OK,” McEnroe said.

“He responded immediately and said, ‘Yeah I’m fine. I’m just very busy here’ and he said, “Tell mom and the boys I’ll reach out to them around Thanksgiving and that I’m OK.'”

When the elder McEnroe — accustomed to receiving limited information from his son while overseas — asked if he was in a safe place, he replied, “Oh yeah, it’s no big deal. I’m in Jordan.'”

In the days following the shooting, McEnroe said military officials told him and other families not to believe Jordanian news reports claiming the U.S. soldiers failed to follow protocols.

“‘Our boys did nothing wrong,'” McEnroe quoted the officials as saying.

McEnroe — who attended parts of al-Tuwayha’s trial in Jordan — also condemned King Abdullah for allowing his military to push a false narrative that faulted the American soldiers and “dishonored” their names.

“This was an assassination — it wasn’t a gunfight,” said McEnroe. “He [al-Tuwayha] was no more than 5 or 6 feet away from my son when he shot him with an automatic weapon at point-blank range. Mercifully, my son never knew what was happening. He died instantly.”

“The assertion that he [al-Tuwayha] thought they were under attack was absurd,” he said. “All the Jordanians at the gate area knew who was coming back. There was only one gate at that air base… the same crew that was there when the shooting happened was the same crew there at 8 a.m. when our guys left the base.”

The surveillance video was released on Monday in an effort to calm unrest among al-Tuwayha’s supporters, who claim he’s being unjustly punished by Jordan to appease the United States.

Al-Tuwayha was sentenced on July 17 to life in prison — a sentence that, in Jordan, can mean 20 years, with time off for good behavior. At his trial, al-Tuwayha said he did not resent the Americans at the base and insisted he opened fire because he feared the base was coming under attack, the Associated Press reported.

As he was led out of the courtroom, al-Tuwayha said: “I have all the respect for the king, but I was doing my job,” according to the AP.

The Pentagon, meanwhile, called Jordan a “strategic partner” on Wednesday and declined to comment on whether any changes were made to force protection measures in the wake of the deadly shooting.

“We are reassured to see the perpetrator brought to justice,” Defense Department spokesman Adam Stump said in a statement.

“We appreciate the access provided to us and to the families of the victims, as well as the expedience and seriousness of the court proceedings, consistent with Jordanian law,” Stump said. “Despite this tragedy, Jordan remains a strategic partner.”

The deadly shooting at the King Faisal Air Base is not the first time U.S. soldiers have come under attack by a soldier of an allied force. Similar incidents have occurred in Afghanistan, including a June 11 shooting in which an Afghan soldier opened fire at a base in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province, killing three U.S. soldiers and wounding a fourth.

Brian McEnroe described the senseless killing of his son — the eldest of three boys — as a “stab in the heart” of the family.

“He was a hero to his twin brothers,” he said.

“Kevin was a loving person. He had a heart of gold,” McEnroe said. “He would give anybody the shirt off his back.”

mountainjoin